Re: a small proposal for avoiding foot-shooting

От Albe Laurenz
Тема Re: a small proposal for avoiding foot-shooting
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
>> I propose that this behaviour be changed such that 'terse' is ignored
>> for all log messages of FATAL or PANIC severity.
>> [ on the strength of a single example ]

[...]
> It seems like it might be better to rephrase error messages to ensure
> that anything really critical is mentioned in the primary message.
> In this case, perhaps instead of
>     errmsg("could not locate required checkpoint record")
> we could have it print
>     errmsg("could not locate checkpoint record specified in file \"%s/backup_label\".", DataDir)
> assuming we did actually get the location from there.
>
> Anyway, you've omitted a lot of details that would be necessary
> to judge exactly what was misleading about what the DBA saw.

I *guess* it is the problem addressed by

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-committers/2008-04/msg00275.php
and
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-committers/2008-04/msg00358.php

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

От: Tatsuo Ishii
Сообщение: Lock conflict behavior?
От: Andrew Gierth
Сообщение: Re: a small proposal for avoiding foot-shooting