Re: Double linked list with one pointer

От Dann Corbit
Тема Re: Double linked list with one pointer
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

Except when it causes undefined behavior.  The subtraction trick also
suffers from the same evil flaw.

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&threadm=SErn
3.289%24O17.9552%40client&rnum=3&prev=/groups%3Fq%3Dxor%2Bhack%2Bgroup:c
omp.lang.c.*%2Bauthor:corbit%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-8
%26selm%3DSErn3.289%2524O17.9552%2540client%26rnum%3D3

From the C-FAQ:

3.3b:    Here's a slick expression:
    a ^= b ^= a ^= b
It swaps a and b without using a temporary.

A:    Not portably, it doesn't.  It attempts to modify the variable atwice between sequence points, so its behavior is
undefined.
For example, it has been reported that when given the code
    int a = 123, b = 7654;    a ^= b ^= a ^= b;
the SCO Optimizing C compiler (icc) sets b to 123 and a to 0.
See also questions 3.1, 3.8, 10.3, and 20.15c.

10.3:    How can I write a generic macro to swap two values?

A:    There is no good answer to this question.  If the values areintegers, a well-known trick using exclusive-OR could
perhapsbeused, but it will not work for floating-point values orpointers, or if the two values are the same variable.
(Seequestions3.3b and 20.15c.)  If the macro is intended to beused on values of arbitrary type (the usual goal), it
cannotusea temporary, since it does not know what type of temporaryit needs (and would have a hard time picking a name
forit ifit did), and standard C does not provide a typeof operator.
The best all-around solution is probably to forget about using amacro, unless you're willing to pass in the type as a
thirdargument.

20.15c:    How can I swap two values without using a temporary?

A:    The standard hoary old assembly language programmer's trick is:
    a ^= b;    b ^= a;    a ^= b;
But this sort of code has little place in modern, HLLprogramming.  Temporary variables are essentially free,and the
idiomaticcode using three assignments, namely
    int t = a;    a = b;    b = t;
is not only clearer to the human reader, it is more likely to berecognized by the compiler and turned into the
most-efficientcode(e.g. using a swap instruction, if available).  The lattercode is obviously also amenable to use with
pointersandfloating-point values, unlike the XOR trick.  See also questions3.3b and 10.3.

Сообщение: Re: 7.4.1 ... slight change of scheduale ...
Сообщение: Re: 7.4.1 ... slight change of scheduale ...