Re: Threads vs Processes

От Dann Corbit
Тема Re: Threads vs Processes
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

I think the ideal situation would be a server that both threads and
forks.

Sometimes, we want the server to take on a new personality (with the
rights of the attaching user).  In such a case, threading is not a
sufficient answer.  Also, a forked process is a bit safer (though you
can put a try/catch around threads).

For performance with multiple queries from a single user, threads are
going to be faster than forking.  I think that the best model will be a
server that does both.

I know that there is some aversion to using C++, but the ACE framework
offers a consistent threading model that works for just about every
computer under the sun.
http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/ACE.html

The license is basically BSD (it is called ACE, but it works exactly
like a BSD license).  With ACE, you program to a single API, and the
code works the same on every platform with a simple recompile.  It might
even be worthwhile to use the ACE higher level components to create a
server that supports multiple models of connection and threading.