Re: [GENERAL] 7.4Beta

От Dann Corbit
Тема Re: [GENERAL] 7.4Beta
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

I really, really like SQL*Server's solution to the problem you have
stated above.  A typical example is you have a pile of incoming words
and you want to create a dictionary.  An example might be a library
database, where you have an abstract for each item.  You parse the words
and look for new ones to add.

What SQL*Server allows is an index with an option called "IGNORE
DUPLICATES" that simply tosses out rows that are already in the table.
For applications like what I have described and what you have described
it is an incredibly useful extension.  Once I got used to it, I found
myself using it all the time.  Of course, you must be very careful to
ensure that the duplicates really are completely unimportant.