Re: Two weeks to feature freeze

От Dann Corbit
Тема Re: Two weeks to feature freeze
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

No.  I think it covers a broad spectrum of functionality.  It is clear
that there are warts in it, and also that it is slanted in a few
instances to turn "bugs into features."  But I think that a large and
thorough test suite that covers all major areas of functionality will
prove useful.  A test suite that covers just as many features and yet is
aimed at honest evaluation would be a big benefit.

The larger and more complete a functionality test suite is, the better.
If a test suite covers ten times the functionality, it will uncover ten
times as many defects.  I think it is part of the responsibility of a
software vendor to ensure that any released product is as free of
defects as possible (even an open source tool set).  All real software
products larger than a few hundred lines of code have some defects in
them.  If you are going to trust your companies data to a software tool,
you would want it to be as free from defects as is possible to achieve,
without rasing the cost prohibitively.

I think that performance testing is also a good idea.  One of the big
benefits of creating a large performance suite is that you can profile
your code and find out where the effort is needed to get a big speed
increase.

I think that the NIST validation suite will be very valuable.  The
coverage of NIST is pretty good, but that test has warts on it too.  You
will find (for instance) that there is not one single index built by
that test suite.  So the joins are all brute force.  Yetch.

If PostgreSQL can pass all three areas of NIST (SQL, ecpg (the pc
directory), and the mc directory) that would be pretty impressive.