Re: @(#)Mordred Labs advisory 0x0004: Multiple buffer overflows inPostgreSQL. (fwd)

От Dann Corbit
Тема Re: @(#)Mordred Labs advisory 0x0004: Multiple buffer overflows inPostgreSQL. (fwd)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

Well, of course, a well mannered team member would report the bugs
through one of the normal channels.
On the other hand, a malicious tester who finds these problems performs
two valuable services:
1.  Through great effort, he has found a problem that needs to be
addressed or serious consequences will result.
2.  He has raised a large public rancor.  The result of which is that
the serious problem must be addressed.

The motivation is suspect.  The character is suspect.  But the result is
of great value.  In a similar manner, it is a common practice to hire
hackers to try to break into your site.  While their methods will be
unconventional, and they can be very seedy and immoral characters, they
will reveal information of great value to show you exactly where the
hole needs to be plugged.