Re: Problem with pgadmin II and psql

От Dave Page
Тема Re: Problem with pgadmin II and psql
Дата
Список pgadmin-support

Current development versions of pgAdmin will only use quotes where
required, though this still leaves you with the "problem" that if you
create a table called MyTable it is MyTable and not mytable.

> because this non SQL conformant feature
> confuses many users (I think).

If PostgreSQL (note, *not* pgAdmin) followed the spec, then this problem
would still remain. To quote from the spec, and Tom Lane:

         13)A <regular identifier> and a <delimited identifier> are
equiva-
            lent if the <identifier body> of the <regular identifier>
(with
            every letter that is a lower-case letter replaced by the
equiva-
            lent upper-case letter or letters) and the <delimited
identifier
            body> of the <delimited identifier> (with all occurrences of
            <quote> replaced by <quote symbol> and all occurrences of
<dou-
            blequote symbol> replaced by <double quote>), considered as
            the repetition of a <character string literal> that
specifies a
            <character set specification> of SQL_TEXT and an
implementation-
            defined collation that is sensitive to case, compare equally
            according to the comparison rules in Subclause 8.2,
"<comparison
            predicate>".

The spec expects unquoted identifiers to be made case-insensitive by
folding them to upper case.  We do it by folding to lower case, instead.
While this isn't 100% standard, it's unlikely to be changed.  Too many
applications would break...

In other words, you would still get the case where MyTable != mytable !=
MYTABLE.

Regards, Dave.