Re: Weird disk write load caused by PostgreSQL?

От Alexander Staubo
Тема Re: Weird disk write load caused by PostgreSQL?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
I'm surprised that I have to reply to myself, since in hindsight this
should be bloody obvious: It's the pgsql_tmp directory. I just
monitored the file creation in that directory, and found PostgreSQL
to be creating huge temporary, extremely short-lived files ranging
from 1MB to 20MB in size. I increased work_mem to 25MB -- should be
perfectly safe on a box with 4GB of RAM, I hope - and the iostat
traffic seems to have dropped to near zero.

I'm a bit baffled as to why PostgreSQL would ever be sorting 20MB of
data in the first place, even with ~12 connections running queries
concurrently, but I suppose I will have to look more closely at our
query patterns.

Alexander.