Re: analyze causes query planner to choose suboptimal plan for a select query in separate transaction

От Martin Kováčik
Тема Re: analyze causes query planner to choose suboptimal plan for a select query in separate transaction
Дата
Список pgsql-general
I’ve got it now, thank you for the clarification. You are right.

Martin Kováčik
+421904236791

> On 26 Apr 2019, at 00:25, Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
>
>> On 4/25/19 1:28 PM, Martin Kováčik wrote:
>> I'm not sure if I understand what you mean. My initial thought was that stats are fixed per transaction, i.e.
analyzefrom comitted transaction doesn't interfere with another running transaction. Maybe I was confused by this
becauseanalyze can be run inside a transaction, so my assumption was it is isolated like other statements.

> To make it clearer I would take a look at:
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/11/sql-analyze.html
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/11/catalog-pg-statistic.html
>

> The gist is currently there is one entry(with exception noted in second link) per column in each table. This is the
mostrecent information available subject to the conditions Tom pointed out in his post. To make it MVCC aware like you
suggestwould mean tracking the state of all transactions currently open and recording that information, so each
transactioncould find its stats. This means the planning problem could then move to the stats table as it would need to
beanalyzed itself to work efficiently. This would probably also need to be MVCC aware to be relevant, which would add
tothe overhead. I could see this turn into a 'hall of mirrors' problem quickly.

От: Adrian Klaver
Сообщение: Re: analyze causes query planner to choose suboptimal plan for aselect query in separate transaction
От: Jānis Pūris
Сообщение: TCP Resets when closing connection opened via SSL