Re: File Systems Compared

От Brian Wipf
Тема Re: File Systems Compared
Дата
Re: File Systems Compared  ("Merlin Moncure" <mmoncure@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-performance
> Hmmm.   Something is not right.  With a 16 HD RAID 10 based on 10K
> rpm HDs, you should be seeing higher absolute performance numbers.
>
> Find out what HW the Areca guys and Tweakers guys used to test the
> 1280s.
> At LW2006, Areca was demonstrating all-in-cache reads and writes of
> ~1600MBps and ~1300MBps respectively along with RAID 0 Sustained
> Rates of ~900MBps read, and ~850MBps write.
>
> Luke, I know you've managed to get higher IO rates than this with
> this class of HW.  Is there a OS or SW config issue Brian should
> closely investigate?

I wrote 1280 by a mistake. It's actually a 1260. Sorry about that.
The IOP341 class of cards weren't available when we ordered the parts
for the box, so we had to go with the 1260. The box(es) we build next
month will either have the 1261ML or 1280 depending on whether we go
16 or 24 disk.

I noticed Bucky got almost 800 random seeks per second on her 6 disk
10000 RPM SAS drive Dell PowerEdge 2950. The random seek performance
of this box disappointed me the most. Even running 2 concurrent
bonnies, the random seek performance only increased from 644 seeks/
sec to 813 seeks/sec. Maybe there is some setting I'm missing? This
card looked pretty impressive on tweakers.net.