Re: 9.3-1101-jdbc41 potential issue resolving DNS names to host names

От Mitchell, Scott
Тема Re: 9.3-1101-jdbc41 potential issue resolving DNS names to host names
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc

You nailed it.  Not sure how the local IP got into the host file for this hostname, but this would explain the symptoms I am seeing.

From: davecramer@gmail.com [mailto:davecramer@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Dave Cramer
Sent: Tuesday, April 15, 2014 8:04 PM
To: Mitchell, Scott
Cc: List
Subject: Re: [JDBC] 9.3-1101-jdbc41 potential issue resolving DNS names to host names

Scott,

JDBC only uses java to resolve the host. Is it possible you have something in your hosts file which is not visible to dig ?

Dave Cramer

dave.cramer(at)credativ(dot)ca
http://www.credativ.ca

On 15 April 2014 19:11, Scott Mitchell <smitchel@akamai.com> wrote:

Another interesting symptom is that if I try psql I get some strange
behavior...

$ssh <IP address X>
$psql --host="<HOSTNAME>"
psql: could not connect to server: Connection refused
    Is the server running on host "<HOSTNAME>" (<IP address X>) and
accepting
    TCP/IP connections on port 5432?

It seems like the <HOSTNAME> is resovling to the local IP (which is <IP
address X>)?

But if I explicitly try the IP I am able to connect to the database
(connection is rejected but that is expected).

$ssh <IP address X>
$psql --host="<IP address Y>"
psql: FATAL:  connection requires a valid client certificate
FATAL:  pg_hba.conf rejects connection for host "<IP address Y>", user
"root", database "root", SSL off

This makes me think it may not be a postgresql jdbc specific issue but I
am still not quite sure.

Another interesting piece of the puzzle is that <IP address X> is
running a warm standby instance of the database.  The postgresql
instance is currently not running on this machine but I'm not sure if
that may affect anything.

-Scott