Re: Please Recommend a Front End App

От John DeSoi
Тема Re: Please Recommend a Front End App
Дата
Re: Please Recommend a Front End App  (Sean Davis <sdavis2@mail.nih.gov>)
Список pgsql-general
On May 12, 2005, at 7:06 PM, Kurt Gibson wrote:

> One important solution I created in Filemaker Pro requires very
> detailed and exact replication of official court forms with database
> data entered on the forms.  Imagine a form with small type, boxes and
> spacing that must be exactly as on the official form and data from the
> database on the form as printed to pdf.  One nice thing about
> Filemaker is that its reporting ability is very flexible.
>
> I also have an extensive solution with approx 50 tables/databases to
> run my small business.  I built a calendar, contacts, clients,
> timelog, and billing solution.  I have been bumping my head against
> Filemaker Pro's 50 database limit for years - server would allow you
> 125 databases for about $1000.  For those of you with no experience
> with Filemaker, a database is a table.  Each file only has one table
> and all layouts/reports/forms and scripts are in the same file.  This
> setup has pros and cons that are irrelevant now.

I'm not familiar with FileMaker, but my understanding is that it can
communicate with other databases via ODBC. Would it not be possible to
keep your investment (at least for a while) in the front end forms and
convert to PostgreSQL as the data store?

John DeSoi, Ph.D.
http://pgedit.com/
Power Tools for PostgreSQL