Re: Merge algorithms for large numbers of "tapes"

От Dann Corbit
Тема Re: Merge algorithms for large numbers of "tapes"
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

Effectively
> "rewinds" are still the problem it's just that the cost of rewinds
becomes
> constant regardless of how long the "tape" is.
>
> That's one thing that gives me pause about the current approach of
using
> more
> tapes. It seems like ideally the user would create a temporary work
space
> on
> each spindle and the database would arrange to use no more than that
> number of
> tapes. Then each merge operation would involve only sequential access
for
> both
> reads and writes.

If the chief concern is in the number of subfiles created, replacement
selection doubles the length of the subfiles while consuming no more
memory.
{The big-O of the algorithm sucks, though}

It is certainly worth testing several cases.

It is not a bad idea to enable more than one method of performing an
operation.

In the ideal case, you would have specific information about drives,
spindles, rates for seek, transfer, etc.

It all depends on how much effort you want to throw at it.

Сообщение: Re: Merge algorithms for large numbers of "tapes"
Сообщение: Re: Merge algorithms for large numbers of "tapes"