Re: Surrogate keys (Was: enums)

От Dann Corbit
Тема Re: Surrogate keys (Was: enums)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

I have a different opinion.

The data should absolutely never use a natural key as a primary key.

The data should use something like a sequence for the primary key.

Examples:
SSN --> believe it or not, SSN's sometimes change.

First, Middle, Last names --> Not really unique

Street Address --> More than one person can live there.  They can move.

Basically, every physical attribute or logical attribute is a terrible
choice for a primary key.  They won't cause problems very often, it's
true.  But when they do cause problems, it is a terrible doozie of a
problem.

Now, on the other hand, if we are talking about INDEXES here, that's a
horse of a different color.   Lots of natural attributes and
combinations of natural attributes make excellent candidates for keys.
Such things as SSN, names, addresses, phone numbers, etc.

Therefore, I am guessing the two posters upstream in this thread that I
am responding to were therefore talking about different subjects
altogether.

One was talking about using natural attributes for indexes, which is a
superior idea that I agree with.

The other was talking about never using natural attributes for keys,
which I also agree with.

Therefore, I am guessing that everyone is in complete agreement, but it
is a nomenclature thing.

Just a guess.

Сообщение: Re: Surrogate keys (Was: enums)
Сообщение: Re: Surrogate keys (Was: enums)