Re: Which qsort is used

От Dann Corbit
Тема Re: Which qsort is used
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

Radix sort can also be made completely generic by using a callback
function.

The function gives back n-bits at a time, from the most significant bits
to the least significant.

So, for char string, and a radix of 256, you just return the first char,
then the second char, etc. to get the classical radix sort.

Radix sort is no advantage for long, similar strings.  Suppose that you
have a comparison sort that is O(n*log(n)).  If n is one billion items,
then log2(n) is 32 and therefore LSD radix 256 sorts of 33 character
fields will be slower than a comparison sort, even for one billion
items.