Re: regarding IN clause

От Dann Corbit
Тема Re: regarding IN clause
Дата
Список pgsql-general

Probably, the sequential scan was faster.

There is a big cost to jumping all over the place, loading both the index pages and the data pages.

Typically, it is about 10% of the data volume for a file, but I don’t know what the metric is for PostgreSQL.

If you want to force the index behavior, you might try finding out how many items you can put into a IN list, and then repeating it with UNION.

E.g.:

SELECT * FROM table_name WHERE id IN (2,4,6,8)

UNION

SELECT * FROM table_name WHERE id IN (1,2,3,4)

UNION

SELECT * FROM table_name WHERE id IN (9,121,13,14)

Etc.

I am guessing that the sequential scan is faster.

You could also try OR lists, which accomplish the same thing.

You might also select the ID values into a temporary table and then do a join.  I am guessing that the join query would work pretty well.

Give it a try and see, and then tell us what you saw.