Re: Database monitor (again)

От Dann Corbit
Тема Re: Database monitor (again)
Дата
Список pgsql-general
First, let us consider what is already available.  Here are some tools
that perform similar purposes to what you are proposing:

1.  Transaction monitor (requires custom modifications to PostgreSQL):
http://starccm.sourceforge.net/

2.  Statistics monitor (this is built in to the product):
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/monitoring-stats.html

3.  You can examine the database locks here:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/monitoring-locks.html

4.  This is a very nice general purpose administration tool:
http://www.pgadmin.org/

I think something like SQL*Server's sp_who might be useful:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/tsqlref
/ts_sp_wa-wz_3v8v.asp

I think intrusion detection would be nice.  If (for instance) it appears
that a denial of service attack was going on, it would be good to log
the ip of the offending process.

Some more esoteric things that would be handy:
1.  Index creation suggester that watches column access and notices
frequent filtered table scans that could benefit from an index.  It
would give the SQL to create the suggested index.  A setting could allow
automatic creation of indexes, if usage passes a user given threshold.
2.  Index type suggester that notices that a hashed index would be of
benefit or a btree or an rtree or whatever.
3.  Graphical tools that will depict table or query usage as a bar chart
to show where the majority of the time is going.

Probably others can think up a lot more.

Since I am not sure about the scope of your project, it is hard for me
to know what might be a good suggestion.