Re: Server error and deadlocks

От Orr, Steve
Тема Re: Server error and deadlocks
Дата
Список pgsql-general

Agreed but what I need rightnow is to find a "smoking gun" to beat the duhvelopers on the head with in order to first get their attention. The smoking gun would be an example of their poor SQL technique so I can ask them, "What were you smoking when you wrote this junk?" In this context, is there any way to create some sort of trace log of all the SQL submitted to the server for a given time period, database, user, etc.? I can do this in Oracle and I think it's a necessary feature.

Steve Orr

-----Original Message-----
From: scott.marlowe [mailto:scott.marlowe@ihs.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 14, 2003 10:35 AM
To: Orr, Steve
Cc: 'Tom Lane'; pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Server error and deadlocks

On Tue, 14 Jan 2003, Orr, Steve wrote:

> You're right about the lack of foreign keys... it's a foreign concept to the
> DUHvelopers. I suspect table locks but are there any database level tracing
> tools to show the SQL? Will the trace_locks and debug_deadlocks parameters
> help and how do I use them?

Actually, what you need is a code audit and some training for your
developers on how real transactions work and why they don't need to use
table level locks.

I'd have them study and learn from the section in the manual on MVCC and
then go back in and change their code to use transactions with select for
update instead of table locks.