Re: Including replication slot data in base backups

От Bernd Helmle
Тема Re: Including replication slot data in base backups
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

--On 1. April 2014 11:26:08 -0400 Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:

> As a general comment, I think that replication slots, while a great
> feature, have more than the usual potential for self-inflicted injury.
>  A replication slot prevents the global xmin from advancing (so your
> tables will bloat) and WAL from being removed (so your pg_xlog
> directory will fill up and take down the server).  The very last thing
> you want to do is to keep around a replication slot that should have
> been dropped, and I suspect a decent number of users are going to make
> that mistake, just as they do with prepared transactions and backends
> left idle in transaction.

Oh yes, i saw this happening uncountless times now by customers when
restoring a basebackup with in-progress prepared xacts (and was indeed
fooled myself a few times, too). I always was under the impression that
there should be a big big warning at least in the logs to hint the user to
check any remaining prepared xacts...

--
Thanks
Bernd