Re: [bug fix] strerror() returns ??? in a UTF-8/C database with LC_MESSAGES=non-ASCII

От MauMau
Тема Re: [bug fix] strerror() returns ??? in a UTF-8/C database with LC_MESSAGES=non-ASCII
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
From: "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e@gmx.net>
> On 9/9/13 4:42 PM, MauMau wrote:
> 1. Take the approach that doesn't use bind_textdomain_codeset("libc")
>> (i.e. the second version of errno_str.patch) for 9.4 and older releases.
>>
>> 2. Use bind_textdomain_codeset("libc") (i.e. take
>> strerror_codeset.patch) for 9.4, and take the
>> non-bind_textdomain_codeset approach for older releases.
>
> I think we are not going to backpatch any of this.  There is a clear
> workaround: fix your locale settings.

No, it's a hard workaround to take:

1. Recreate the database with LC_CTYPE = ja_JP.UTF-8.  This changes various
behaviors such as ORDER BY, index scan, and the performance of LIKE clause.
This is almost impossible.

2. Change lc_messages in postgresql.conf to 'C'.  This is OK for me as I can
read/write English to some extent (though poor).  But English is difficult
for some (or many?) Japanese.

So I hesitate to ask the users to do so.

Regards
MauMau