RE: linux/bsd

От Willis, Ian (Ento, Canberra)
Тема RE: linux/bsd
Дата
Список pgsql-general
I personally think that solaris/sparc is OK but pricey, solaris/intel sucks.
I currently administer a number of sparc/solaris boxes and in the next 18
months will be migrating all bar one of these boxes to linux. We evaluated
solaris/intel however the number of hoops that one has to just through make
the concept of commodisation fly out the window.
--
Ian Willis

-----Original Message-----
From: The Hermit Hacker [mailto:scrappy@hub.org]
Sent: Monday, 9 April 2001 12:52 PM
To: Justin Clift
Cc: Richard Boyes; pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] linux/bsd

On Mon, 9 Apr 2001, Justin Clift wrote:

> Hi Richard,
>
> Solaris 8 INTEL is very stable and free for commercial use :
> http://www.sun.com/solaris/
>
> You can download it directly from the web too (full version, no timeouts
> or anything holding back):
> http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/binaries/download.html
>
> It's kind of picky about which hardware it will work on though.  There
> is a list at :
> http://soldc.sun.com/support/drivers/hcl/8/101/BOOK.htm
>
> If you have hardware it likes, I'd go with Solaris INTEL, otherwise one
> of the BSD crowd (known for stability) or Linux.

Based on my personal experiences (University I work at is predominantly
Solaris based for Unix .. .slowly shifting *muhahaha*) ... Solaris INTEL
is one of the worst OSs I've had the misfortune to deal with :(  Ppl
complain about how the BSD OSs don't support as much hardware as Linux,
but Solaris takes the cake in that department ... you have to go to
Adaptec's web site to get drives if you want to use a U160 SCSI
controller, as *it* isn't supported :(

> Regards and best wishes,
>
> Justin Clift
>
> Richard Boyes wrote:
> >
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I'm in the process of making some decisions as to
> > what OS I should be using for a product that development
> > will begin on soon. It's a web based thing using postgres,
> > apache etc and will be all on one machine.
> >
> > My question is to what operating system would be a better
> > one to use for postgres. ie linux/bsd.
> >
> > I know postgres works fine on both but some opinion
> > from the postgres developer community as to which OS
> > they prefer would have a bearing on this decision.
> >
> > PS sorry in advance for posting a question that might
> >    spark a lot of opinions.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Richard.

> >     (send "unregister YourEmailAddressHere" to majordomo@postgresql.org)
>
> --
>      - Indira Gandhi

Marc G. Fournier                   ICQ#7615664               IRC Nick:
Scrappy
Systems Administrator @ hub.org
primary: scrappy@hub.org           secondary:
scrappy@{freebsd|postgresql}.org

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Сообщение: Re: PQexec() with multiple sql statements.
Сообщение: Re: PQexec() with multiple sql statements.