Re: Optimise PostgreSQL for fast testing

От Dmytrii Nagirniak
Тема Re: Optimise PostgreSQL for fast testing
Дата
Re: Optimise PostgreSQL for fast testing
Список pgsql-general
On 24/02/2012, at 2:22 AM, Simon Riggs wrote:

Would appreciate some suggestions.

You really need to explain why this matters...

I've just replied to Adrian with more details. I suppose you don't mind to take a look there so I won't copy-paste it :)

You mention a "typical Ruby on Rails app" and then discuss SQLite.
Well, typical web apps have more than 1 user, so fairly obviously
using SQLite isn't appropriate.
This is rally irrelevant to this thread, but I believe you are not right here: http://www.sqlite.org/whentouse.html

Websites

SQLite usually will work great as the database engine for low to medium traffic websites (which is to say, 99.9% of all websites).

If SQLite isn't appropriate, why are
you testing with it?
It is appropriate in the first place. But another reason to use SQLite for testing is that is fast and easy to maintain and setup.
Since I need to use PG FTS (and that's the only reason), I have to use PG for testing too.
And this is where this thread comes in.

Perhaps just run half the test, that would make it twice as quick and
still just as valid.

If Postgres tests run in ~1 minute, what benefit have you gained from
saving 30 seconds? How often are you running tests?

I think it is irrelevant to the this thread, but here's my math:

I run full suite aprox every 5 mins. Which is ~ 100 times a day.
Now, 30s*100 = 50mins vs 60s=100mins.
This is another ~hour lost a day.

On top of that I would run a single test file probably every couple of minutes or so.
(So even if it is a couple of seconds slower, it all adds up a lot).

This is just a common TDD style. Watch the https://www.destroyallsoftware.com/ for example to see what I mean.

Don't get me wrong, I realise that PG and SQLite are totally different beasts.

That's totally fine if PG can't beat SQLite on speed in **this particular case**.
I just want to try to tune it to be as fast as it can (for **this particular case**, see my reply to Adrian).

Cheers.