Re: make dist using git archive

От Tristan Partin
Тема Re: make dist using git archive
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed Jan 24, 2024 at 11:57 AM CST, Tristan Partin wrote:
> On Wed Jan 24, 2024 at 10:18 AM CST, Tristan Partin wrote:
> > On Tue Jan 23, 2024 at 3:30 AM CST, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > > On 22.01.24 21:04, Tristan Partin wrote:
> > > 3. Meson does not support tar.bz2 archives.
>
> Submitted https://github.com/mesonbuild/meson/pull/12770.

This has now been merged. It will be in 1.5, so we will probably see it
in RHEL in a decade :P.

> > > 4. Meson uses git archive internally, but then unpacks and repacks the
> > > archive, which loses the ability to use git get-tar-commit-id.
>
> Because Meson allows projects to distribute arbitrary files via
> meson.add_dist_script(), and can include subprojects via `meson dist
> --include-subprojects`, this doesn't seem like an easily solvable
> problem.
>
> > Thanks Peter. I will bring these up with upstream!
>
> I think the solution to point 4 is to not unpack/repack if there are no
> dist scripts and/or subprojects to distribute. I can take a look at
> this later. I think this would also solve points 1, 2, 5, and 6 because
> at that point meson is just calling git-archive.

I think implementing a solution to point 4 is a little bit more pressing
given that reproducible tarballs are more important after the xz
debaucle. I will try to give it some effort soon.

--
Tristan Partin
Neon (https://neon.tech)