RE: libpq debug log

От Jamison, Kirk
Тема RE: libpq debug log
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wednesday, February 20, 2019 12:56 PM GMT+9, Robert Haas wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 18, 2019 at 10:06 PM Jamison, Kirk <k.jamison@jp.fujitsu.com> wrote:
> > It sounds more logical to me if there is a parameter that switches
> > on/off the logging similar to other postgres logs. I suggest trace_log as the parameter name.

> I'm not really sure that I like the design of this patch in any way.
> But leaving that aside, trace_log seems like a poor choice of name,
> because it's got two words telling you what kind of thing we are doing
> (tracing, logging) and zero words describing the nature of the thing
> being traced or logged (the wire protocol communication with the client).
> A tracing facility for the planner, or the executor, or any other part
> of the system would have an equally good claim on the same name.  That
> can't be right.

Agreed about the argument with trace_log parameter name. I just shootout
a quick idea. I didn't think about it too deeply, but just thought of a
switch that will enable or disable the feature. So there are
definitely better names other than that. And as you suggested, should
describe specifically what the feature does.

Regards,
Kirk Jamison