RE: Using PGTune - is it a good source for system configuration?

От Stephen Froehlich
Тема RE: Using PGTune - is it a good source for system configuration?
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
Yes, I have found that most PostgreSQL workloads do benefit some (like 25% to 30%) from Intel hyperthreading.

With 4 threads, I would probably start out at:

max_worker_processes = 4
max_parallel_workers_per_gather = 2
max_parallel_workers = 3
max_parallel_maintenance_workers = 1

And then keep an eye on htop ... and go from there. Remember that for this generation of processor, the speculative
executionpatches make context switching (changing which software thread a hyperthread is working on) quite expensive,
soits bad to max out the processor, and your gains above the 2 cores will be small.

But honestly I have never run PostgreSQL on a machine with fewer than 12 cores / 24 threads.

--Stephen