RE: Psql meta-command conninfo+

От Maiquel Grassi
Тема RE: Psql meta-command conninfo+
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi Pavel!
>The patch v10 build ends with a warning: >$ make -j --silent >describe.c:911:1: warning: no previous prototype for ‘listConnectionInformation’ [-Wmissing-prototypes] > 911 | listConnectionInformation() | ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ >About terms.

I resolved this in v11. I had forgotten to put
the 'void' inside the parentheses (describe.h and describe.c).

>postgres@postgres(17.0)=# \x \conninfo+ >Expanded display is on. >Current Connection Information >-[ RECORD 1 ]------+--------- >Database | postgres >Authenticated User | postgres >System User | >Current User | postgres >Session User | postgres >Session PID | 951112 >Server Version | 17devel >Server Address | >Server Port | 5401 >Client Address | >Client Port | >Socket Directory | /tmp >Host | >It looks like "Session PID" is a new term for the server process identifier. >How about changing the name to "Backend PID" (from pg_backend_pid) or even PID (from pg_stat_activity)?

You're right, it's better to stick with the proper terms already in use in PostgreSQL. This ensures that the user doesn't get confused. I've changed it to "Backend PID".
>On 08.02.2024 17:58, Maiquel Grassi wrote:
> 1. > + if (db == NULL) > + printf(_("You are currently not connected to a database.\n")); > > This check is performed for \conninfo, but not for \conninfo+.
1. The connection check for the case of \conninfo+ is handled by "describe.c" itself since it deals with queries. I might be mistaken, but I believe that by using "printQuery()" via "describe.c", this is already ensured, and there is no need to evaluate the connection status.
>I found that \conninfo and \conninfo+ act differently when the connection is broken. >I used pg_terminate_backend function from another session to terminate an open psql session. >After that, \conninfo does not see the connection break (surprisingly!), and \conninfo+ returns an error: >postgres@postgres(17.0)=# \conninfo+ >FATAL: terminating connection due to administrator command >server closed the connection unexpectedly >This probably means the server terminated abnormally >before or while processing the request. >The connection to the server was lost. Attempting reset: Succeeded.
For this case, I believe it's already resolved, because if you get a return indicating that the connection was terminated, and indeed it was,
then "describe.c" is handling it correctly. At least that's what
it seems like.
>postgres@postgres(17.0)=# \conninfo >You are connected to database "postgres" as user "postgres" via socket in "/tmp" at port "5401".

Here it seems like we have an issue to be studied and subsequently resolved.

>Another surprise is that this check: if (db == NULL) did not work in both cases.
I will investigate further and, if necessary, remove it.

Here's v12, in the next version, I'll try to address the above situation.

Thanks a lot!
Maiquel Grassi.
Вложения

От: Anthonin Bonnefoy
Сообщение: Fix parallel vacuum buffer usage reporting
От: Daniel Gustafsson
Сообщение: Re: Reducing connection overhead in pg_upgrade compat check phase