Invoking SQL function while doing CREATE OR REPLACE on it

От Nagendra Mahesh (namahesh)
Тема Invoking SQL function while doing CREATE OR REPLACE on it
Дата
Список pgsql-general
I have a Postgres 14.4 cluster (AWS Aurora) to which I connect from my application using JDBC.

I use liquibase for schema management - not only tables, but also a bunch of SQL stored procedures and functions.
Basically,there is one liquibase changeSet that runs last and executes a set of SQL files which contain stored
proceduresand functions.

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION bar(arg1 text, arg2 text) RETURNS record LANGUAGE "plpgsql" AS '
BEGIN
   // function body
END;
';

These functions / procedures are replaced ONLY when there is a change in one / more SQL files which are part of this
changeSet.(runOnChange: true).

Whenever I do a rolling deployment of my application (say, with a change in the function body of bar()), liquibase will
executethe CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION bar() as part of a transaction.

In the few milliseconds while bar() is being replaced, there are other ongoing transactions (from other replicas of my
application)which are continuously trying to invoke bar().

Only in this tiny time window, few transactions fail with the following error:

ERROR: function bar(arg1 => text, arg2 => text) does not exist
  Hint: No function matches the given name and argument types. You might need to add explicit type casts.
Position: 4 : errorCode = 42883

I don't want any of these transactions to fail (we do not have any proper way of re-trying them from the application
layer).
This is seen as affecting availability.
However, it is acceptable for these transactions to BLOCK (for a few hundred ms) while the SQL function body is being
replaced,and then proceed with invocation.

Is there a way to safely modify a stored function / procedure in PostgreSQL while that function / procedure is being
invokedcontinuously by multiple transactions?

Thanks!

Сообщение: RE: [EXT] Re: Why using a partial index is doing slightly more logical I/O than a normal index
Сообщение: Re: [EXT] Re: Why using a partial index is doing slightly more logical I/O than a normal index