where clause question

От Scott Frankel
Тема where clause question
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hello,

Is it possible to perform selects in a where clause of a statement?

Given a statement as follows:

    SELECT foo.foo_id, foo.name
    FROM foo, bar
    WHERE foo.bar_id = bar.bar_id
    AND bar.name = 'martini';

I'm looking for a way to recast it so that the select and from clauses
refer to a single table and the join referencing the second table
occurs in the where clause.  For example, something like this:

    SELECT foo.foo_id, foo.name
    FROM foo
    WHERE (SELECT * FROM foo, bar WHERE ...)
    foo.bar_id = bar.bar_id
    AND bar.name = 'martini';

I've explored the "where exists" clause, but it's not supported by the
application toolkit I'm using. AFAIK, I've only got access to where ...

Thanks in advance!
Scott