Re: installing on mac air development machine

От Steve Atkins
Тема Re: installing on mac air development machine
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Oct 2, 2014, at 8:04 PM, John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com> wrote:

> On 10/2/2014 4:37 PM, Adrian Klaver wrote:
>> On 10/02/2014 03:50 PM, john.tiger wrote:
>>> we've always installed on linux so need help with a new mac air running
>>> latest osx
>>>
>>> in the instructions it shows several methods:
>>> 1) enterprisedb (but this does not look open source ?)
>>
>> It is just the community version of Postgres behind a graphical installer, so yes it is open source.
>
> postgres is of course open source.  the enterprisedb installer I'm less sure of, but its free to use.
>
> if you just need postgres running while you're doing software development, the postgresql.app version may be the
simplestto use.   you run it on the desktop and postgres is running.  close it and its not.  your user id owns the
pgdataand the process, so you don't have to jump through sudo hoops to edit the config files.

> http://postgresapp.com/
>
> (Caveat:  I don't own a mac)

I do, and use postgres.app to develop against - and you're right. postgres.app is a trivial install, and it works
beautifullyfor development using postgresql. It isn't really a desktop app, it's a tiny GUI controller that lives in
yourmenu bar and controls a fairly standard postgresql installation under the covers. It can start up and shut down as
youlog in and log out, or you can start and stop it manually.

Cheers,
  Steve

От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: How to find greatest record before known values fast
От: Michael Paquier
Сообщение: Re: Creating a PL/pgSQL function that returns multiple out parameters and refcursor