Re: Transposing rows and columns

От Aram Fingal
Тема Re: Transposing rows and columns
Дата
Re: Transposing rows and columns  (Sam Mason <sam@samason.me.uk>)
Список pgsql-general
On Sep 16, 2010, at 12:28 PM, Sam Mason wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 11:42:21AM -0400, Aram Fingal wrote:
>> create table results(
>> expt_no int references experiments(id),
>> subject int references subjects(id),
>> drug text references drugs(name),
>> dose numeric,
>> response numeric
>> )
>
> What's the primary key?  I presume it's (expt_no,subject,drug,dose).

Yes that's correct.  I copied and simplified from the actual table, which has a lot more in the table definition.

>> Now, suppose I do some computation on the results in the database and
>> want to export it back out to the same kind of format that I received
>> it (drugs and doses in rows and subjects in columns.)
>
> Have you tried setting up an ODBC data source to the database and use
> the PivotTable functionality in Excel to do the transformation?

I have thought about that but later on, when we do the full sized experiments, there will be too many rows for Excel to
handle.

> If you want to do the transformation in SQL, you'd be writing something
> like:
>
>  SELECT drug, dose
>    MIN(CASE subject WHEN 1 THEN response END) AS resp_1,
>    MIN(CASE subject WHEN 2 THEN response END) AS resp_2,
>    MIN(CASE subject WHEN 3 THEN response END) AS resp_3
>  FROM results
>  WHERE expt_no = 1
>    AND subject IN (1,2,3)
>  GROUP BY drug, dose
>  ORDER BY drug, dose;

That's a good trick to know but I just tried it and found that it begins to get complicated with the actual data.  It
alsoreturns a separate row for each drug/dose/subject combination which isn't exactly what I want.  Each row has one
columnwith a value and the rest of the columns in that row are all <null>.

> Or you can use the tablefunc contrib module as suggested by Uwe.  I
> prefer doing it by hand as you get more options, but it can be quite
> tedious if you've got lots of columns you're trying to deal with.

I guess I need to read up on pivot tables.  At first glance, this looks like the best solution.

-Aram