Re: Command prompt window (8.0)

От Guy Rouillier
Тема Re: Command prompt window (8.0)
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Vernon wrote:
> Just installed the 8.0 version for Windows. As a Unix
> guy, I would like to do things through the command
> prompt. I have trouble to bring up it. After bringing
> up the "psql to template1" as the same user of the
> installation configuration, it disappears right after
> I type in the password, which is the same outcome with
> a different user.
>
> How to bring up the command prompt correctly?

I think you are selecting "psql to template1" from the menus installed
by the MSI installer for the Windows version of PG, correct?  If so,
that command will attempt to connect to the template1 database running
locally on your Windows box.  Make sure that the Windows service for
that database is running before attempting to connect.  Use the "start
service" menu item.  Better yet, open up the Windows "Services"
management console so you can make sure that service really starts.

Then, rather than use the menu item to connect to the database, open up
a Windows console window yourself, switch to the PG installation
directory /bin, and run

psql -U userid -d dbname -h hostname

With suitable substitutions.  This way, if/when the connection fails,
you should be able to see some kind of diagnostic message as to why it
failed.