Re: postgres oracle emulation question

От Guy Rouillier
Тема Re: postgres oracle emulation question
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Randy Samberg wrote:
> Does anyone know if there is a way in Postgres to emulate Oracle, in
> other words make Postgres think it is an Oracle database?  If so, do
> you have any idea what percentage of people are doing this, and how
> successful they are with this?   Also, how is this done?  Do you know
> of any good links that discuss this.  My manager is thinking about
> replacing a couple of Oracle databases with Postgres, and would like
> to know the answer to this question.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Randy

What are you trying to accomplish?  The PostgreSQL documentation has a
nice section on converting from Oracle, and the topic is discussed
frequently here.  How are you connecting to the Oracle DB?  JDBC, ORI?
How transparent do you want this to be?  I'm in the middle of
converting a massive data collection database (hundreds of gigabytes)
from Oracle to PostgreSQL.  The app is written using Java and the
database accessed via JDBC.  My goal is to have source code
transparency.  Taking a bit of work on the stored procedure conversion,
but so far the source code is intact.  If you are hoping you can just
take a C/C++ app using the OCI driver and point it to a PostgreSQL
database, that's not going to happen, as the communications protocols
are totally different.

--  Guy Rouillier