Re: Problem with table slowing down - Help with EXPLAIN reqd

От Q
Тема Re: Problem with table slowing down - Help with EXPLAIN reqd
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 27/07/2006, at 2:00 PM, Peter Watling wrote:

> I have a table with only 30 odd records... I use one field on each
> record as a sort of status, as a means of handshaking between a number
> of clients... It works OK in theory.. however, over time ( just days )
> it gets progressively slower.. its as if postgreSQL is keep a list of
> all updates... I tried restarting postgres incase it was some
> transaction thing, but it doesn seem to help

When you update a row postgres will in effect create an entirely new
row that reflects the changes and the old row is marked for deletion,
however it still remains in the table until it is garbage collected
by running vacuum. If you never run vacuum you would end up with a
row for every single update you have ever made.

You need to run vacuum regularly to ensure that these discarded rows
are recycled.  If you are running 8.0+, turning on autovacuum in your
postgresql.conf is probably the easiest way to ensure this is done
frequently.

> here is the 'explain' results.. I just made the pwdelete_temp table by
> doing a create pwdelete_temp as select * from dataprocessors.. so that
> new file runs flat out...
>
> I have also tried doing a vacuum full analyse and reindex with no
> change in performance.. I dump to a text file and reload works, but
> that is a bit tooo savage for something to have to do frequently.
>
> What what I can see, it looks like pg THINKS tere is 284000 records to
> scan through.. How can I tell it to flush out the history of changes?

You need to run 'ANALYZE <tablename>' to update the table statistics.
Enabling autovacuum will take care of this for you also.

> transMET-MGU=# explain select * from pwdelete_temppaths;
>                              QUERY PLAN
> -
> Seq Scan on pwdelete_temppaths  (cost=0.00..11.40 rows=140 width=515)
> (1 row)
>
> transMET-MGU=# explain select * from dataprocessor_path;
>                                QUERY PLAN
> -----
> Seq Scan on dataprocessor_path  (cost=0.00..6900.17 rows=284617
> width=92)
> (1 row)

Please try running 'analyze' on the tables first and then rerun these
queries as 'explain analyze' instead so you can see the difference
between what the planner expects compared to what it actually gets.

--
Seeya...Q

                           _____  /  Quinton Dolan - qdolan@gmail.com
      /    __  /   _/    /      /        Gold Coast, QLD, Australia
   __/  __/ __/ ____/   /   -  /            Ph: +61 419 729 806
                             _\