Postgresql on multi-core CPU's: is this old news?

От Mischa Sandberg
Тема Postgresql on multi-core CPU's: is this old news?
Дата
Re: Postgresql on multi-core CPU's: is this old news?  (Greg Smith <greg@2ndQuadrant.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
thisis old news I missed in this group.<p class="MsoNormal"><a
href="http://pdos.csail.mit.edu/papers/linux:osdi10.pdf">http://pdos.csail.mit.edu/papers/linux:osdi10.pdf</a><p
class="MsoNormal">aboutLinux optimization on multi-core CPU’s.<p class="MsoNormal"> <p class="MsoNormal">The group at
MITwere exploring how some Linux apps were scaling up --- sometimes badly, mostly due to hidden contention over
cache-lineconsistency across the cores’ caches.<p class="MsoNormal">In a nutshell: if an app, or the system calls it
uses,tries to modify anything in a cache line (32-64 byte slice of memory) that another core is using, there’s a lot of
fumblingin the dark to make sure there is no conflict. When I saw PostgreSQL named in the abstract, I thought, “Aha!
Contentionover shm”. Not so. Skip to page 11 (section 5.5) for most of the PG specifics.</div>