Re: Partitioned tables and triggers

От Chetan Suttraway
Тема Re: Partitioned tables and triggers
Дата
Список pgsql-novice

On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 12:26 PM, mephysto <mephystoonhell@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello to everyone, yesterday I created my first montly partitioned table with
its insert trigger following the specific manual page.

At the moment table seems to work correctly, but I have some doubts:

1 - After an insert operation, I can see data either in master and in child
table. Is this a normal behavior?

WRT data in master table, different people/setup have different strategies.
For ex: in case of oracle, there is no data in master table. All the data comes from partitions.

2 - I created only insert trigger, but not update and delete. Do I need also
these triggers to managing data correctly?

Yes.
Note that In case you are allowing to update the key values and it may happen to move to another partition,
then you need to take care of this row movement.

3 - When a BEFORE INSERT trigger function execute in its turn an INSERT
operation, are the origina INSERT executed or not? Are the data inserted in
master table also, and not only in child table?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Chetan

--