Re: Reporting by family tree

От o1bigtenor
Тема Re: Reporting by family tree
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
On Wed, Oct 25, 2023 at 9:55 AM David G. Johnston
<david.g.johnston@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 25, 2023 at 5:21 AM Ibrahim Shaame <ishaame@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> But what I want to get is  grandfather - father - children:
>>
>> 1 - Grandfather1
>>
>> 3 - father1-1
>>
>> 6 - son1-1
>>
>> 7 – son1-2
>>
>> 4 - Father1-2
>>
>> 8 - son2-1
>>
>> 2 – Grandfather2
>>
>> 5 - Father2-1
>>
>> etc
>>

>> Any suggestion
>>

> If you want a different ordering of the output change the ORDER BY specification.
>
> Specifically, you want to order by the path of each person.  Since that can only be determined during the traversal
youneed to create the path data yourself.  I suggest using an integer[] (integer array) to store the path using ID
valuesas breadcrumbs.

(Not the OP just someone following the list trying to learn.)

'using ID values as breadcrumbs' - - - can I interpret that to mean
the ordinal numbers 1-8 listed (more implied)?

TIA