Re: POC: GROUP BY optimization

От Alexander Korotkov
Тема Re: POC: GROUP BY optimization
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi!

On Thu, Apr 18, 2024 at 1:57 PM Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you for the fixes you've proposed.  I didn't look much into
> details yet, but I think the main concern Tom expressed in [1] is
> whether the feature is reasonable at all.  I think at this stage the
> most important thing is to come up with convincing examples showing
> how huge performance benefits it could cause.  I will return to this
> later today and will try to provide some convincing examples.

I took a fresh look at 0452b461b, and have the following thoughts:
1) Previously, preprocess_groupclause() tries to reorder GROUP BY
clauses to match the required ORDER BY order.  It only reorders if
GROUP BY pathkeys are the prefix of ORDER BY pathkeys or vice versa.
So, both of them need to be satisfied by one ordering.  0452b461b also
tries to match GROUP BY clauses to ORDER BY clauses, but takes into
account an incremental sort.  Actually, instead of removing
preprocess_groupclause(), we could just teach it to take incremental
sort into account.
2) The get_useful_group_keys_orderings() function takes into account 3
orderings of pathkeys and clauses: original order as written in GROUP
BY, matching ORDER BY clauses as much as possible, and matching the
input path as much as possible.  Given that even before 0452b461b,
preprocess_groupclause() could change the original order of GROUP BY
clauses, so we don't need to distinguish the first two.  We could just
consider output of new preprocess_groupclause() taking into account an
incremental sort and the ordering matching the input path as much as
possible.  This seems like significant simplification.

Let me also describe my thoughts about the justification of the
feature itself.  As Tom pointed upthread, Sort + Grouping is generally
unlikely faster than Hash Aggregate.  The main point of this feature
is being able to match the order of GROUP BY clauses to the order of
the input path.  That input path could be Index Scan or Subquery.
Let's concentrate on Index Scan.  Index Scan can give us the required
order, so we can do grouping without Sort or with significantly
cheaper Incremental Sort.  That could be much faster than Hash
Aggregate.  But if we scan the full table (or its significant
fraction), Index Scan is typically much more expensive than Sequential
Scan because of random page access.  However, there are cases when
Index Scan could be cheaper.
1) If the heap row is wide and the index contains all the required
columns, Index Only Scan can be cheaper than Sequential Scan because
of lesser volume.
2) If the query predicate is selective enough and matches the index,
Index Scan might be significantly cheaper.  One may say that if the
query predicate is selective enough then there are not that many
matching rows, so aggregating them either way isn't a big deal anyway.
However, given that data volumes are growing tremendously, it's not
hard to imagine that the index selected a small fraction of table
rows, but they are still enough to be costly for aggregating.
Therefore, I think there are significant cases where matching GROUP BY
clauses to the order of the input path could give a substantial
improvement over Hash Aggregate.

While there are some particular use-cases by Jian He, I hope that
above could give some rationale.

------
Regards,
Alexander Korotkov