Re: [HACKERS] WIP Patch: Pgbench Serialization and deadlock errors

От Alexander Korotkov
Тема Re: [HACKERS] WIP Patch: Pgbench Serialization and deadlock errors
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jun 15, 2017 at 10:16 PM, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
On 2017-06-14 11:48:25 +0300, Marina Polyakova wrote:
> Advanced options:
> - mostly for testing built-in scripts: you can set the default transaction
> isolation level by the appropriate benchmarking option (-I);

I'm less convinced of the need of htat, you can already set arbitrary
connection options with
PGOPTIONS='-c default_transaction_isolation=serializable' pgbench

Right, there is already way to specify default isolation level using environment variables.
However, once we make pgbench work with various isolation levels, users may want to run pgbench multiple times in a row with different isolation levels.  Command line option would be very convenient in this case.
In addition, isolation level is vital parameter to interpret benchmark results correctly.  Often, graphs with pgbench results are entitled with pgbench command line.  Having, isolation level specified in command line would naturally fit into this entitling scheme.
Of course, this is solely usability question and it's fair enough to live without such a command line option.  But I'm +1 to add this option.

------
Alexander Korotkov
The Russian Postgres Company