Re: POC, WIP: OR-clause support for indexes

От Alexander Korotkov
Тема Re: POC, WIP: OR-clause support for indexes
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jun 17, 2024 at 1:33 PM Alena Rybakina
<a.rybakina@postgrespro.ru> wrote:
> I noticed that 7 libraries have been added to src/backend/optimizer/plan/initsplan.c, and as far as I remember, Tom
Lanehas already expressed doubts about the approach that requires adding a large number of libraries [0], but I'm
afraidI'm out of ideas about alternative approach.

Thank you for pointing.  Right, the number of extra headers included
was one of points for criticism on this patch.  I'll look to move this
functionality elsewhere, while the stage of transformation could
probably be the same.

> In addition, I checked the fix in the previous cases that you wrote earlier [1] and noticed that SeqScan continues to
generate,unfortunately, without converting expressions:

I've rechecked and see I made wrong conclusion about this.  The plan
regression is still here.  But I'm still looking to workaround this
without extra GUC.

I think we need to additionally do something like [1], but take
further steps to avoid planning overhead when not necessary.  In
particular, I think we should only consider splitting SAOP for bitmap
OR in the following cases:
1. There are partial indexes with predicates over target column.
2. There are multiple indexes covering target column and different
subsets of other columns presented in restrictions.
3. There are indexes covreing target column without support of SAOP
(amsearcharray == false).
Hopefully this should skip generation of useless bitmap paths in
majority cases. Thoughts?

Links.
1. https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/67bd918d-285e-44d2-a207-f52d9a4c35e6%40postgrespro.ru

------
Regards,
Alexander Korotkov
Supabase

От: Peter Eisentraut
Сообщение: Re: speed up a logical replica setup
От: Alexander Korotkov
Сообщение: Re: POC, WIP: OR-clause support for indexes