Re: Removing unneeded self joins

От Alexander Korotkov
Тема Re: Removing unneeded self joins
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, May 6, 2024 at 5:44 PM Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> I want to go on record right now as disagreeing with the plan proposed
> in the commit message for the revert commit, namely, committing this
> again early in the v18 cycle. I don't think Tom would have proposed
> reverting this feature unless he believed that it had more serious
> problems than could be easily fixed in a short period of time. I think
> that concern is well-founded, given the number of fixes that were
> committed. It seems likely that the patch needs significant rework and
> stabilization before it gets committed again, and I think it shouldn't
> be committed again without explicit agreement from Tom or one of the
> other committers who have significant experience with the query
> planner. That is not to say that I don't approve generally of the idea
> of committing things earlier in the release cycle: I certainly do. It
> gives us more time to shake out problems with patches before we ship.
> But it only makes sense if we collectively believe that the patch is
> mostly correct, and only needs fine-tuning, and I think there are good
> reasons to believe that we shouldn't have that level of confidence in
> this case.

I agree it was a hurry to put the plan into commit message.  I think
Tom already gave valuable feedback [1] and probably we will get more.
So, plan is to be decided.  One way or the other I'm not going to
re-commit this without explicit Tom's consent.

Links.
1. https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/3622801.1715010885%40sss.pgh.pa.us

------
Regards,