Re: GIN improvements part 1: additional information

От Alexander Korotkov
Тема Re: GIN improvements part 1: additional information
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Jun 30, 2013 at 2:50 PM, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas@vmware.com> wrote:
On 29.06.2013 20:08, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
On 29.06.2013 11:56, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
I made one significant change: I removed the 'freespace' field you added
to GinpageOpaque. Instead, on data leaf pages the offset from the
beginning of the page where the packed items end is stored in place of
the 'maxoff' field. This allows for quick calculation of the free space,
but there is no count of item pointers stored on the page anymore, so
some code that looped through all the item pointers relying on 'maxoff'
had to be changed to work with the end offset instead. I'm not 100%
wedded on this, but I'd like to avoid adding the redundant freespace
field on pages that don't need it, because it's confusing and you have
to remember to keep them in sync.

Ah, crap, looks like I sent the wrong patch, and now I can't find the
correct one anymore. The patch I sent didn't include the changes store
end offset instead of freespace. I'll rewrite that part..

Here's the correct version. I've probably broken things, sorry about that.

I'm going to mark this as "returned with feedback" now. The code still needs a lot of general cleanup, including comment and README updates. Also, please take some time to consider the open questions I listed here: archives.postgresql.org/message-id/51CEA13C.8040103@vmware.com.

Thanks! So, we have a lot of stuff and you give the points for further work. Could you please verify my plan of work on these patches:
1) Solving questions of archives.postgresql.org/message-id/51CEA13C.8040103@vmware.com for packed postinglists.
2) Extract additional info patch based on packed postinglists.
3) Rewrite interface of fast scan. Do CPU and IO benchmarking.
4) Do IO benchmarking of index ordering.
Cleanup, comments and READMEs are assumed in each item.

------
With best regards,
Alexander Korotkov.