Re: Fast GiST index build - further improvements

От Alexander Korotkov
Тема Re: Fast GiST index build - further improvements
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 8:35 PM, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki.linnakangas@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
Now that the main GiST index build patch has been committed, there's a few further improvements that could make it much faster still:

Better management of the buffer pages on disk. At the moment, the temporary file is used as a heap of pages belonging to all the buffers in random order. I think we could speed up the algorithm considerably by reading/writing the buffer pages sequentially. For example, when an internal page is split, and all the tuples in its buffer are relocated, that would be a great chance to write the new pages of the new buffers in sequential order, instead of writing them back to the pages freed up by the original buffer, which can be spread all around the temp file. I wonder if we could use a separate file for each buffer? Or at least, a separate file for all buffers that are larger than, say 100 MB in size.

Better management of in-memory buffer pages. When we start emptying a buffer, we currently flush all the buffer pages in memory to the temporary file, to make room for new buffer pages. But that's a waste of time, if some of the pages we had in memory belonged to the buffer we're about to empty next, or that we empty tuples to. Also, if while emptying a buffer, all the tuples go to just one or two lower level buffers, it would be beneficial to keep more than one page in-memory for those buffers.

Buffering leaf pages. This I posted on a separate thread already: http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/4E5350DB.3060209@enterprisedb.com

Also, at the moment there is one issue with the algorithm that we have glossed over this far: For each buffer, we keep some information in memory, in the hash table, and in the auxiliary lists. That means that the amount of memory needed for the build scales with the size of the index. If you're dealing with very large indexes, hopefully you also have a lot of RAM in your system, so I don't think this is a problem in practice. Still, it would be nice to do something about that. A straightforward idea would be to swap some of the information to disk. Another idea that, simpler to implement, would be to completely destroy a buffer, freeing all the memory it uses, when it becomes completely empty. Then, if you're about to run out of memory (as defined by maintenance_work_mem), you can empty some low level buffers to disk to free up some.
Unfortunately, I hadn't enough of time to implement something of this before 9.2 release. Work on my Phd. thesis and web-projects takes too much time.

But, I think there is one thing we should fix before 9.2 release. We assume that gist index build have at least effective_cache_size/4 of cache. This assumption could easily be false on high concurrency systems. I don't see the way for convincing estimate here, but we could document this behaviour. So, users could just tune effective_cache_size for gist index build on high concurrency.

------
With best regards,
Alexander Korotkov.