Re: GIN improvements part 1: additional information

От Alexander Korotkov
Тема Re: GIN improvements part 1: additional information
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jan 6, 2014 at 12:35 PM, Amit Langote <amitlangote09@gmail.com> wrote:
On Sat, Dec 21, 2013 at 4:36 AM, Heikki Linnakangas
<hlinnakangas@vmware.com> wrote:

> Yet another version. The encoding/decoding code is now quite isolated in
> ginpostinglist.c, so it's easy to experiment with different encodings. This
> patch uses varbyte encoding again.
>
> I got a bit carried away, experimented with a bunch of different encodings.
> I tried rice encoding, rice encoding with block and offset number delta
> stored separately, the simple9 variant, and varbyte encoding.
>
> The compressed size obviously depends a lot on the distribution of the
> items, but in the test set I used, the differences between different
> encodings were quite small.
>
> One fatal problem with many encodings is VACUUM. If a page is completely
> full and you remove one item, the result must still fit. In other words,
> removing an item must never enlarge the space needed. Otherwise we have to
> be able to split on vacuum, which adds a lot of code, and also makes it
> possible for VACUUM to fail if there is no disk space left. That's
> unpleasant if you're trying to run VACUUM to release disk space. (gin fast
> updates already has that problem BTW, but let's not make it worse)
>
> I believe that eliminates all encodings in the Simple family, as well as
> PForDelta, and surprisingly also Rice encoding. For example, if you have
> three items in consecutive offsets, the differences between them are encoded
> as 11 in rice encoding. If you remove the middle item, the encoding for the
> next item becomes 010, which takes more space than the original.
>
> AFAICS varbyte encoding is safe from that. (a formal proof would be nice
> though).
>
> So, I'm happy to go with varbyte encoding now, indeed I don't think we have
> much choice unless someone can come up with an alternative that's
> VACUUM-safe. I have to put this patch aside for a while now, I spent a lot
> more time on these encoding experiments than I intended. If you could take a
> look at this latest version, spend some time reviewing it and cleaning up
> any obsolete comments, and re-run the performance tests you did earlier,
> that would be great. One thing I'm slightly worried about is the overhead of
> merging the compressed and uncompressed posting lists in a scan. This patch
> will be in good shape for the final commitfest, or even before that.

I just tried out the patch "gin-packed-postinglists-varbyte2.patch"
(which looks like the latest one in this thread) as follows:

1) Applied patch to the HEAD (on commit
94b899b829657332bda856ac3f06153d09077bd1)
2) Created a test table and index

create table test (a text);
copy test from '/usr/share/dict/words';
create index test_trgm_idx on test using gin (a gin_trgm_ops);

3) Got the following error on a wildcard query:

postgres=# explain (buffers, analyze) select count(*) from test where
a like '%tio%';
ERROR:  lock 9447 is not held
STATEMENT:  explain (buffers, analyze) select count(*) from test where
a like '%tio%';
ERROR:  lock 9447 is not held

Thanks for reporting. Fixed version is attached.

------
With best regards,
Alexander Korotkov.
Вложения