Re: Connections hang indefinitely while taking a gin index's LWLockbuffer_content lock(PG10.7)

От Alexander Korotkov
Тема Re: Connections hang indefinitely while taking a gin index's LWLockbuffer_content lock(PG10.7)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Sep 29, 2019 at 6:12 PM Alexander Korotkov
<a.korotkov@postgrespro.ru> wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 29, 2019 at 5:38 PM Alexander Korotkov
> <a.korotkov@postgrespro.ru> wrote:
> > On Sun, Sep 29, 2019 at 11:17 AM chenhj <chjischj@163.com> wrote:
> > > Does the locking order of autovacuum process(root->right->left) correct? While insert process lock gin buffer by
orderof bottom->top and left->right.

> > > 1. vacuum(root->right->left):
> >
> > Starting from root seems OK for me, because vacuum blocks all
> > concurrent inserts before doing this.  But this needs to be properly
> > documented in readme.
> >
> > Locking from right to left is clearly wrong.  It could deadlock with
> > concurrent ginStepRight(), which locks from left to right.  I expect
> > this happened in your case.  I'm going to reproduce this and fix.
>
> I just managed to reproduce this using two sessions on master branch.
>
> session 1
>     session 2
>
> # create table test with (autovacuum_enabled = false) as (select
> array[1] ar from generate_series(1,20000) i);
> # create index test_ar_idx on test using gin (ar);
> # vacuum analyze test;
> # delete from test;
>
>     # set enable_seqscan = off;
>     gdb> b ginbtree.c:150
>     # select * from test where ar @> '{1}'::integer[];
>     Step in gdb just before ReadBuffer() in ReleaseAndReadBuffer().
>
> gdb> b ginvacuum.c:155
> # vacuum test;
>
>     gdb > continue
> gdb> continue

Patch with fix is attached.  Idea is simple: ginScanToDelete() now
keeps exclusive lock on left page eliminating the need to relock it.
So, we preserve left-to-right locking order and can't deadlock with
ginStepRight().

Also, we need to adjust Concurrency section in GIN README.  For me the
description looks vague and inconsistent even with current behavior.
I'm going to post this later.

------
Alexander Korotkov
The Russian Postgres Company