Re: Statistics and selectivity estimation for ranges

От Alexander Korotkov
Тема Re: Statistics and selectivity estimation for ranges
Дата
Re: Statistics and selectivity estimation for ranges
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 4:40 PM, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki.linnakangas@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
On 15.08.2012 11:34, Alexander Korotkov wrote:
Ok, we've to decide if we need "standard" histogram. In some cases it can
be used for more accurate estimation of<  and>  operators.
But I think it is not so important. So, we can replace "standard" histogram
with histograms of lower and upper bounds?

Yeah, I think that makes more sense. The lower bound histogram is still useful for < and > operators, just not as accurate if there are lots of values with the same lower bound but different upper bound.

New version of patch.
* Collect new stakind STATISTIC_KIND_BOUNDS_HISTOGRAM, which is lower and upper bounds histograms combined into single ranges array, instead of STATISTIC_KIND_HISTOGRAM.
* Selectivity estimations for >, >=, <, <=, <<, >>, &<, &> using this histogram.

------
With best regards,
Alexander Korotkov.
Вложения