Re: Postgres 11 release notes

От Alexander Korotkov
Тема Re: Postgres 11 release notes
Дата
Re: Postgres 11 release notes  (Alexander Korotkov <a.korotkov@postgrespro.ru>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jun 19, 2018 at 12:15 PM Alexander Korotkov
<a.korotkov@postgrespro.ru> wrote:

> >> Uh, we do have this for SP-GiST:
> >>
> >>         Allow SP-GiST indexes to optionally use compression (Teodor Sigaev,
> >>         Heikki Linnakangas, Alexander Korotkov, Nikita Glukhov)
> >>
> >> I am unclear how far downt the API stack I should go in documenting
> >> changes like this.
> >

> > It is also a bit misleading - the idea in that change is that now index representation can be a lossy version of
actualdata type (a box instead of polygon as a referende, so a changelog entry can tell "Allow SP-GiST index creation
forpolygon datatype.").  There is no "decompression" for such thing. "compression" sounds like gzip for me in
user-facingcontext.

> +1 that current wording looks confusing.  But I think we need to
> highlight that we have general SP-GiST improvement, not just support
> for particular datatype.  So, I propose following wording: "Allow
> SP-GiST to use lossy representation of leaf keys, and add SP-GiST
> support for polygon type using that".

Oh, I missed that we have separate release notes entry for polygons
indexing.  Then second part of sentence isn't needed, it should be
just "Allow SP-GiST to use lossy representation of leaf keys".  If no
objections, I'm going to commit that altogether with fixes by
Liudmila.

------
Alexander Korotkov
The Russian Postgres Company