Re: Challenges preventing us moving to 64 bit transaction id (XID)?

От Alexander Korotkov
Тема Re: Challenges preventing us moving to 64 bit transaction id (XID)?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jan 9, 2018 at 10:51 PM, Alexander Korotkov <a.korotkov@postgrespro.ru> wrote:
On Tue, Jan 9, 2018 at 12:41 AM, Alexander Korotkov <a.korotkov@postgrespro.ru> wrote:
On Sat, Jan 6, 2018 at 10:10 PM, Ryan Murphy <ryanfmurphy@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks for this contribution!
I think it's a hard but important problem to upgrade these xids.

Unfortunately, I've confirmed that this patch 0001-64bit-guc-relopt-3.patch doesn't apply correctly on my computer.

Here's what I did:

I did a "git pull" to the current HEAD, which is 6271fceb8a4f07dafe9d67dcf7e849b319bb2647

Then I attempted to apply the patch, here's what I saw:

$ git apply patches/0001-64bit-guc-relopt-3.patch
error: src/backend/access/common/reloptions.c: already exists in working directory
error: src/backend/utils/misc/guc.c: already exists in working directory
error: src/include/access/reloptions.h: already exists in working directory
error: src/include/utils/guc.h: already exists in working directory
error: src/include/utils/guc_tables.h: already exists in working directory

Alexander, what is the process you're using to create the patch?  I've heard someone (maybe Tom Lane?) say that he sometimes uses "patch" directly instead of "git" to create the patch, with better results.  I forget the exact command.

I've created patches using context diff, as described in PostgreSQL wiki.
I already noticed that it causing troubles to some community members who use 'git apply'.  And also I noticed that majority of patches nowadays are sent using universal format.  So, I decided to switch to universal format too.  I'm working on rebasing patchset, that takes some time...  Next revision will be sent in universal format.

Please, find in attachment the rebased patchset.

As I get from cputube, patchset doesn't compiles again.  Please find revised version attached.

------
Alexander Korotkov
The Russian Postgres Company
Вложения