Re: [HACKERS] LWLock optimization for multicore Power machines

От Alexander Korotkov
Тема Re: [HACKERS] LWLock optimization for multicore Power machines
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Feb 7, 2017 at 3:16 PM, Bernd Helmle <mailings@oopsware.de> wrote:
Am Montag, den 06.02.2017, 22:44 +0300 schrieb Alexander Korotkov:
   2. Also could you run each test longer: 3-5 mins, and run them with
   variety of clients count?

So here are some other results. I've changed max_connections to 300. The bench was prewarmed and run 300s each.
I could run more benches, if necessary.

Thank you very much for benchmarks!

There is clear win of both lwlock-power-1.patch and lwlock-power-3.patch in comparison to master.  Difference between lwlock-power-1.patch and lwlock-power-3.patch seems to be within the margin of error.  But win isn't as high as I observed earlier.  And I wonder why absolute numbers are lower than in our earlier experiments.  We used IBM E880 which is actually two nodes with interconnect.  However interconnect is not fast enough to make one PostgreSQL instance work on both nodes.  Thus, used half of IBM E880 which has 4 sockets and 32 physical cores.  While you use IBM E850 which is really single node with 4 sockets and 48 physical cores.  Thus, it seems that you have lower absolute numbers on more powerful hardware.  That makes me uneasy and I think we probably don't get the best from this hardware.  Just in case, do you use SMT=8?

------
Alexander Korotkov
The Russian Postgres Company