Re: Proposal for CSN based snapshots

От Alexander Korotkov
Тема Re: Proposal for CSN based snapshots
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 10:42 AM, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas@vmware.com> wrote:
On 08/27/2014 09:40 AM, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
On 08/27/2014 08:23 AM, Jeff Davis wrote:
On Tue, 2014-08-26 at 13:45 +0300, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
Yeah. This patch in the current state is likely much much slower than
unpatched master, except in extreme cases where you have thousands of
connections and short transactions so that without the patch, you spend
most of the time acquiring snapshots.

What else are you looking to accomplish with this patch during this
'fest? Bug finding? Design review? Performance testing?

Design review, mostly. I know the performance still sucks. Although if
you can foresee some performance problems, aside from the extra CSNLOG
lookups, it would be good to know.

I think for this commitfest, I've gotten as much review of this patch that I can hope for. Marking as "Returned with Feedback". But of course, feel free to continue reviewing and commenting ;-).

What is current state of this patch? Does community want CSN based snapshots?
Last email in lists was in August 2014. Huawei did talk about their further research on this idea at PGCon and promised to publish their patch in open source.
However, it isn't published yet, and we don't know how long we could wait for it.
Now, our company have resources to work on CSN based snapshots for 9.6. If Huawei will not publish their patch, we can pick up this work from last community version of this patch.

------
Alexander Korotkov
The Russian Postgres Company