Re: Problem with trigger makes Detail record be invalid

От Fabrízio de Royes Mello
Тема Re: Problem with trigger makes Detail record be invalid
Дата
Список pgsql-general

> Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> writes:
> > On 04/19/2018 10:55 AM, PegoraroF10 wrote:
> >> Is this a bug or it´s mine responsability to check that trigger result ?
>
> > Without seeing exactly what the trigger function on Detail is doing that
> > is not answerable.
>
> I think the OP is complaining because his misimplemented trigger can break
> the consistency of the foreign key constraint.  That is not a bug, it's
> an intentional design decision: triggers are lower-level than foreign key
> enforcement queries, and fire during such queries.  It's easy to construct
> examples where people would be very unhappy if this were not so, because
> then FK-driven updates would not be seen by the table's triggers.  It does
> mean that you have to be careful when writing a trigger.

Yeap... it's already mentioned in stackoverflow in ptbr sometime ago [1] with a reproducible test case.

> (I'm not sure that this issue is adequately documented, though.
> I'd have expected to find something about it in triggers.sgml and/or
> create_trigger.sgml, but in a quick look neither of them mentions foreign
> keys.)

We don't have it properly documented... at the time I answered this question on pt-br stackoverflow I noticed the lack o documentation and unfortunately I completely forgot to propose a small patch for it.

Regards,

[1] https://pt.stackoverflow.com/questions/256115/postgresql-foreign-keys-falhando/256398#256398

--
   Fabrízio de Royes Mello         Timbira - http://www.timbira.com.br/

Сообщение: Re: Problem with trigger makes Detail record be invalid
Сообщение: Re: Problem with trigger makes Detail record be invalid